Saturday, June 11, 2011

miscellaneous....

Just received news of the birth of a boy of a colleague. Wonderful!

==============================

Met up with el and plee separately on wed and thurs. Spent practically 5-6 hours with each. Now I know there is a place call NEX that is very near to me by mrt! It is always lovely meeting them, and catching up. There arent many old friend left that i keep in touch. Tho, I have to admit it is always them checking when i can meet up. Those hours were well spent. Both have left teaching some time ago.

i look at them and am still pondering...

============================

i admit there are others that i should be seeing, but i have not. I feel bad, but i think i need time...

actually time past too fast for my liking. I have barely a week left, and already i am beginning to worry abt work. I feel guilty too easily. after all, i am on leave...

============================

i have completed that hk drama serial... and it has had alot of effect on me... a script is well written, when the writer is highly perceptive. It isnt the plot, which one can find fault if one intends to. It is the understanding of the complexities of life and character.

It is set in the background of pre jap occupation, then jap occupation, and the latter end spanned civil war, korean war, cultural revolution. sk didnt know abt the civil war nor the cultural revolution. Nor do I, but I have read 散文 on it. And it was painful for many.

These ages of darkness and turbulence were present in the world wars; in the period of religious persecutions; in the dark ages. And even present day terrorism, and repression. Do our kids learnt about all this in history or their own reading?


In such a turbulent era, there is a resignation for commoners, and non commoners. Which is worse, I dont know. Commoners have no power over life. Those with power can be trapped in it despite themselves.

Again all these seem remote in the present era, far removed. But actually it isnt. My mum was a child during the jap occupation. Migrants to singapore, poverty determined part of her fate, and in the convolution of events, her posterity. But we are commoners.

I am totally not a drama/film person at all. Most of the time, its about romance or feuds, or clapstick all of which is not to my palate. In fact when i told el and plee abt this drama, both were intrigued that i can actually be impressed by a show. Basically, i wouldnt have liked it. The setting was heavy and sad at the start. But I was drawn, and some parts replayed in my mind. I did ponder for long time. Why.

A few reasons. The warmth and comaraderie of a 'kampong' like spirt was well portrayed, a community that cared for one another despite turmoil; the development of events that led to the lead casts having a 生死之交 bond. What was remarkable was the extreme restraint in expression. Alot to say, but best left unsaid or words need not say poignancies. And the exchanges when there are, carries the weight of understanding, about baggages that one take on too much on oneself; and the consideration of what death is, and what is in one's mind when it comes. There was no wailing and futile weeping. But a quiet show of grief with dignity, when there was grief. Alot, alot of restraint.

In one scene, under much pressure, the one in turbulence asked the one from a simple background to tell her interesting stories to distract/humour her. It may sound trivial, but it isnt. I was taken aback, cos yes, it re-enacted some things in the past. I did that often many many years ago. I remember writing to someone saying, because you came from a simple background, hearing your narration of events in your life, that may seem so insignificant, it was so refreshing to me, to hear of normalcy, when all around me is far from it. The script writer is indeed very sensitive and perceptive.

Apart from the parallel of certain circumstances, of course the plot line of a drama can go to extremes. And again because the story is written by man that has control, it can be controlled to a happy ending, though it was after 30 years. Credible for china, who kept a close door policy until late 1970s. Alot, alot, alot of people suffered.

There was also a character, the sister of the lead cast who had a congenital heart problem and in the end died probably in her 20s? sk said quite sad. But I said, this girl is very lucky. She was loved by her mother, taken care and loved so much by her brother when her parents died, and married her childhood sweetheart. and so loved by everyone. She has a lovely life. I would rather die young and have such a brother. sk looked at me, and agreed. Actually the length of one's life is not the issue. Of course, people say, what a waste. I admit so would I. But is it a greater blessing to live long with pain?

One needs to be patient to see the development of the plot to understand the characters. In many ways, this is like literature analysis. Actually, i really believe everyone should do some literature. In a good literature class, you learn to live the character of the stories, and see things from different perspective. If you truly learnt, you wouldnt be too bigoted or opinionated. But of course, I meant good literature worth the study. Not trash.

I need to get out of this world, separate reel from real....

===================================

it is ironic that i like/dislike long breaks. The pace of life is far too much when term starts, and one hardly has time to think and reflect. But in breaks, there is too much time. I live in a world of silence, punctuated by t & b company. I dont mind in a way. I am used to my own company. But without the routine of school, I will need to do much better than this....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home