Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Myriad of events

Stepped into May with alot of events....

One semester ended with the end of my exams on 5 May. No, I didnt study too hard cos there was alot of things to clear and i was distracted by the elections. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable semester. Given that i am not cut out to be A or A+ student, I am contented that I should still get average or hopefully slightly above average grade. What is important is the meaningfulness of what is learnt, and yes, i found it very relevant, and meaningful.

Last week also saw the end of the teaching week. I am thankful I should still be seeing them for another semester. In some ways, for teaching, this is one of my best batch in terms of reception and connectedness. And they are really very sweet kids....they have made this year special...

========================================

The elections have come and gone. I am also relieved with the outcome, though I do feel very bad for the loss of Mr Chiam and Mr G Yeo. I was astounded by Tommy Koh's article today illustrating Mr Yeo's capability, and what he had done in his ministerial role. Yes, it is a true loss. A heavy price paid by the wrong person for the need of democracy.

Be it Mr Chiam, Mr Yeo, Mr Tommy Koh, PM Lee, Mr Low and many more, they are people that I truly respect, some for their heart to serve; some for their courage and conviction; some for their strength and graciousness; and our PM for his leadership. I respect his courage to apologise. Whether it is a political strategy or not, I dont want to know. I saw the political scene from independence, and this is uncommon.

This elections brought out character. It takes heat to test them out. And it also brought out that feeling of national pride, of concern for national issues, whatever the opposing views. The fact that so many view National Service with pride, and regard it as a necessity to go through it to prove ones worth as a leader is amazing to me. I remembered when NS was first mandated, and the much opposition for many years. That this is now seen as a status quo shows the establishing of a sense of belonging. It was really good to see that spirit, and proud of it too. One acquaintance, probably in his late thirties, said to me when he talked about reservist, that it is really necessary to be prepared to defend the country. I was glad to hear that.

==========================================
Alot of happenings. Alot of thoughts. Alot of things to be done. Alot of things to figure out. Alot of things still to settle. And yes, alot of worries, alot of cares....move on into May....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home