Saturday, April 9, 2011

More Reading and More Thoughts....

I admit that more than trying to understand my kids through this course that I am taking, I am really trying to trace my childhood pathway. I love my school days. Without school, I think life would have been totally miserable for me. That was the window to a world out of darkness at home as a child. ................................................................................................................ ========================================================= But to be honest, I didnt fit into school either, and got into endless trouble. The context of the west and our asian context differs widely, much more so in my school days. Even then, I was 'lucky' because being in a convent school, there was alot more understanding and socio-emotional support, though it was not explicit. .......................................................................... There is alot more empathy of the child in the researches and studies in US and Europe, in particular the gifted and talented child. I know there is alot of taboo and misconception about giftedness, and is often seen negatively. Gifted and high achievers are not synonomous. In our local context, they are. ....................................................... ============================================== The emotional intensity and heightened sense of awareness, perceptions and thoughts to outward circumstances are not 'abnormal' to a child whose intellect is above his/her peers. And it is awfully painful to feel deeply, and not be understood. Unless you feel it, you wont understand. You would think the abnormality is in yourself. I couldnt believe that there are so many articles that document the phases that one had gone through in childhood and adolescent, yet even to me, these articles are new. .......................................................................................... ===================================================== Yesterday, whilst lunching with 2 colleagues, one described me as being 'passionate' about my students; that I 'set target' to reach to them. Seriously, i didnt agree with either. I dont see myself as being 'passionate' nor did i conciously set target about my kids. I only know I dont want them to be hurt like I had been; or left out as I had been. I merely reacted and reached out to kids 'positively' because of my own experience. .............................................................................................................................. Had understanding and empathy been shown to me, would my life had been different? Would I have taken paths that had brought so much unhappiness? I dont know. There will never be an answer, though actually it would be unlikely. Since home is still the most critical factor of a child. Except maybe had i the understanding, I would have realised that the root of my constant emotional turmoil are innate, not mysterious.............................................. ...................................Not that there is anything to regret. The past is over. And I have alot alot more than alot of people. Above all, the Lord's mercies endureth forever. ================================================================= There is really a time for everything. Whilst I found it somewhat ironic that I should understand so much more of the many facets of education that had been there for so long, and so late in my life and teaching, it would be that this should be the right time for a reception....whether it would lead to more fruition in education remains to be seen........ ====================================================== I am not a noble educator. I admit the driving force when I teach is I see myself in each child, and responded to them just as I had wished someone had done it for me....................this course compels me to look indepth within myself.............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home