Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dont take Education for Granted

Finally, settled down for the first time to try to start on the draft of my assignment. Decided to visit moe website to get some data, and ended up reading the parliament debate on education.

I was very touched to read Mr Ng Eng Heng's personal recount of his family background. He touched on the Singapore story, which many in his and my generation are familiar. (www.moe.edu.sg/media/speeches/2011/03/07/fy-2011-committee-of-supply-de-1.php)

I would not be where I am without education. In my days, only 5% or so make it to the University. Working was the norm. I know I owe it to the Peoples Association and to MOE who gave me merit bursaries from Pre U (JC) to University which allowed me to attain to my dream of obtaining a University degree. I cant say education in the full sense of the word was availed then through the systems. But without the pathway of education, I am unlikely to be as thinking as I now am.

Alot of things did not happen by chance. When you read through all the 4 reports (if you even bother to do so), ponder how much resources have been given to you, and to all the young in the country. There is alot alot of planning. I am touched by the wide spectrum covered. Things are really alot better in this present generation. And it is only possible because of the steadiness of our economy.

True, there were mistakes and misjudgments. Actually, alot happened at the executive level, how people carried out the policies, missing the spirit of it, and applying the letter only.

Its easy to run down, to find faults, to criticise. But it is really hard to build, to ratify, to construct. And no one can do anything on his own. When i see the construction work going on at the site opposite my block, each builder does his bit, and cant see the whole; but each bit build up to the whole. No one can do without the other. Its the whole team.

I hope the kids who have had such wonderful opportunities in education, and with more options opening before them, will remember their roots ten years down the road, and build up for the generation after them.

Dont take the education you have for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home