Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Prom nite

This is the first time in my life I attended students' prom nite. I had flatly refused in my other school because to me, it doesnt make sense to have prom at secondary school. Then I never liked social occasions.

But I was comfortable with this occasion. Cant explain why. Its not a social thing somehow. Its just a gathering, to share with their completing an important milestone of their life.

I was just comfortable from the start to the end. One of the things i dislike about social occasions is having to make small talks. There was no need to. The teachers I sat with were all those who like the batch and shared the same sentiments with me, seeing them grew over the years. We enjoyed the photo montage, figuring out who is who, laughing with them over some silliness; enjoying their performances. Basically, nothing was contrived. That was nice.

I liked to see them dressed up, especially the boys. :) Over the last 2 days, I managed to fulfil my wish, of taking photos with all the 8 girls of 403, singly or in a group. As for the boys, 12 out of 15. Not bad. The girls are all so pretty. And the boys are growing up to be gentlemen. I really like this big family.

Today is the third day over 3 weeks that I am painkiller free. I was a little worried that attending the dinner may trigger off the headache again. But despite the noise and crowd, it didnt. I can only sum the evening with 2 "c"s : Comfortable and Contentment

Whether I get the photos or not, each of them are captured in my mind. The thought did cross my mind as I was driving back, that this is truly the end. They have truly graduated, and we wont take photos like that again. One can give way to sentimentalism, and the sense of poignancy; but no, we must move on. They have a stretch ahead of them. Some may worry; some may have reservations and anxiety over the unknown. But I am sure these lovely memories, this comradeship, this comaraderie will propel them forward. And I want to wish them well; very well. And give them moral support.

These kids have really made me very happpy. Thank You! :D

=================================

It was particularly nice to catch up with fll and j ang at the dinner. There are some people you may not see for many years, yet there is this mutual bond, that we just picked up from where we left, and there is still that understanding and the same heart and mind. Really wonderful.

I like the way j settled in so comfortably in a neighbourhood school, and showed the same enthusiasm, optismism and care as I had seen him when he was a relatively young teacher at nush. He is a talent, and one that is truly compassionate and committed. Very heartening and encouraging. We need more of such people, who seek for the welfare of the next generation.

fll of course is, as always, in a class of her own, always humble, always inspiring, an exemplar in the teaching fraternity. A++ teacher. My role model.

I met both in my first year in nush, and really count it my privilege to have known them. Gratifying. Some day, we may work together again. And though that is highly unlikely, each of us, in our way, however small, each, wherever we are, are working for the same ideal. We may be at different schools, yet our objective is the same. No barriers. Its really a nice feeling.

I am content tonite. Very. Because it is so meaningful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home