Sunday, August 28, 2011

alot, alot of thoughts...

alot alot of thoughts on alot alot of issues.....

but am really exhausted. Its really not funny to do a 3 evening marathon of 3 hour lessons every week, with its avalanche of assignments. Thankfully, i had worked ahead in school, but not fast enough....Next 10 weeks will be gruelling... the next 2 days alone, I am really buried under! :(
====================================
joined the bio sungei buloh visit yesterday, and really enjoyed it! If only i wasnt so tired, and the trip had been longer... took some photos...may upload it some day.... i try to catch views that showed totally nature... its been a very very very long time since i feel at one with nature...

===================================
Now that the Presidential election is over, i feel more at ease to write somewhat about it. First of all, from the very start, ie 17 years ago, I, questioned, and I still do now, the need of such an exercise. But given that there is one, the relative non-event in the past make things quite harmonious.

The timing of this PE is non-ideal. The lack of separation of issues or the play-up of issues make this whole exercise less palatable.

Last night (or rather early this morning) before the results were out, I wanted to write... but I thought, wait.

Whatever the outcome, I want to say this: Of the team of second generation leaders, Dr Tony Tan is amongst the few that I highly respect. In this PE, all the more, I admire his courage for leaving his comfort zone, to take on such a heavy responsibility for the nation. I feel hurt for him, that he had to take the brunt of ill-framed words.

If he is not one's ideal candidate, is there a need to descend to lack of civility and unkindness?

He was one of the best Minister of Education. He removed 3 unpopular policies before he left the ministry, including the 'monolingual' label. And that needed alot of courage and independence of thought because the majority of the old guards were still present. That he managed to push that through, it showed he listened, and he convinced his predecessors. I remembered the impact on me when this was reported. I truly respect his being able to do what was good, and I was sorry he did not continue in the ministry of education.

He was the one that 'liberated' the education system: Independent schools were set up in 1988 during his time. That was a move that developed to the present diversity of the education landscape. For those of us who couldnt take conformity, independent schools gave us the much needed space. For me, that was vital. I would have left (intended to) the impossible shackles of bureaucracies and policies had not independent schools offered an avenue of hope. He encouraged innovation and independence when that was unheard of at that time. He was ahead of his times.

In parliament, he was the one that never jibed at opposition. He was a true gentleman, and there were many personal anecdotes of his compassion as an MP. His contribution to the nation is immense. A person should be guaged by his words, carriage, dignity, weight, reflected consistently, in his case over almost a life time. And for his life service and contribution. J

饮水要思源.

Whether he was elected or not, I intended to write this. I wished the system of elected presidency was not created. But given that it is (sigh), I am really glad that Dr Tony Tan has been elected the President of our nation.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home