Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gerlynn Yap

I thought of writing this post on the day she leaves....but it would be quite tragic, if she cries reading this, and she is in a foreign land. Not that I ever see her cry, but since she says she cries easily, I thought, what difference does it make, writing now, or later.

I owe Gerlynn this post. Without Gerlynn, this blog would never be in existence. And I have to admit, I often wonder, if Gerlynn wasnt in the class, would 303/403 take on to me that well? I suspect they got on with me, more because she was nice, and the kids she were with were nice. She was the factor that got everyone together. I suspect she and a couple of others are usually the ones that initiate all the nice things for teachers. I guess, guys, being guys, well.... the thought is there...but some things are too much trouble. But she is one of those that pass on the enthusiasm and get people to do things....

Honestly, I guess Gerlynn wasnt my idea of 'model' student at the start. So there is no issue of favoritism. Honestly, I did very little for Gerlynn, and i wish i did more....

I remembered the very first time, I met a group of them, I think, 22 December 2007? or somewhere near that date, when there was matriculation..... so many of  them seemed to be student leaders! And they all looked and  giggled alike....

The next time was orientation. And urm....she was quite noisy.... And i kind of wondered...hmmm....childish? Then I remembered also, that at first i was not supposed to be 303 math teacher. It should have been Mr Yee. But he felt since I was the mentor, it is better that I teach the class, and offered to swap class. Actually, i declined, but he went to make the request, and then I remembered the look of disappointment on quite a few faces. And I felt really bad. So that wasnt a good start.

And i guess i expected some standard, so there was run-in with quite a few...., but the girls were never a problem where discipline was concerned.

Frankly, I dont remember talking with Gerlynn at all. She is a girl that is always cheerful and independent. The kids were just always so happy and liked anybody. I remembered some teachers said you should be very happy that your class greets you so loudly every time you go to class. Apparently it could be heard far off....That was when I realised, ya, 303 is very sweet to me. .. actually, i was just lucky to take that class.

I only got to know her, and the rest better because i needed them to help me with nmos stuff. I always believe in training kids to do things responsibly. But these kids were really fantatstic. That was when I realised how strong in team work, and how efficient she was, thorough and careful. That was the start of a good working relationship. She is a super worker and absolutely trustworthy. Most commendable of all, is , she never complains, and never seeks for praise or glory. When she goes the extra mile, she just did it as a matter of course. No issue.

Seriously, many teachers envied me for having such a super group of student helpers that really 'toiled' with me over nmos for three years, speech day for 3 years, and graduation ceremony for 2 years. I was so proud of having such a group of efficient, mature, "definitely deliver" little kids! Of course, its not just Gerlynn...the guys were really wonderful....but i guess, sometimes i wonder, if gerlynn didnt start mobilising at the start....would they get 'addicted' to helping out? i can see the boys protesting.....whatever... you all were super fantastic!

Honestly, the first 2 years in nushs werent easy years for a variety of reasons, many of which, had nothing to do with the school. I had alot to grapple with within myself, to return to teaching...reminded me of alot of things in the past.
But, the best thing coming to nushs was to come across this group of kids.

I think I knew Gerlynn more through her blog. What I admire most about her, is, her warmth and genuine-ness with her family. I particularly like her helping her po-po with cooking and baking. Seriously, how many kids do that these days? And also helping out with ironing for her family. Very very commendable.But she is a very lucky girl, very very enviable, that she should have such a happy family, and a big extended one that is close-knitted. I think she has wonderful parents, that makes her what she is.

I am glad for her, that she got the scholarship to go to Imperial College. It is really a rare opportunity and the chances are so slim for a teaching scholarship. It does tug at my heart, that she is flying off soon.... And I did try to reschedule today to join the lunch, but....

the kids have grown up, and half the girls are gone (would be gone). Actually, i knew the gathering in june would probably be one of the last time that so many, 19 out of 23 got together....whether there would be such a gathering again, is not important. The important thing is, we have been together for more than 4 years, and that is a lovely time. Though as an adult, i do not share your crazy escapades, but as one that watch and trace your pathways, i share your joys and tears...your hopes and disappointments....

To Gerlynn, I have no doubt that whereever you go, you will be a blessing to others. I have no doubt that you will keep all your friendships and you will make new friends, and will give others joy and warmth the way you have always given others. And I have no doubt that you will do well in all that you put your heart to do.

And like all her friends, I also wish that things work out very well for you, and particularly for you and Ivan. I think, if both of you can ride the roller-coaster of life, and make it together, the joy will be exponentially felt by many many many many people in time to come. I am sure, all of us wish it for both of you.

So, as you embark on a new phase, Dont cry. Dont worry. Be excited. You will be fine. You will do well. You will make us all proud. And Take very good care. And dont take risks.

Words are not adequate to say it all. But i think it suffices for now.

Dear Gerlynn, thank you very much. For being you.







Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home